1099-K Federal Tax Reporting

PsychicCenter, as third-party settlement organizations, are required by law to report total amount of annual gross transactions collected from customers on behalf of advisors on Form 1099-K for those who meet the following thresholds in a calendar year:
  • More than $20,000 in gross receipts
  • More than 200 payment transactions
Gross receipts are defined as the total dollar amount customers paid before any adjustments to the payment you receive (e.g credits or platform fees deducted from your payment based upon the date of the transaction). In accordance with IRC Section 6050W, the information reported on your Form 1099-K may not reflect your net taxable income.
To see if you are eligible to receive a 1099-K, please review your user account(s). If you have multiple accounts on PsychicCenter, the annual gross receipts of all your accounts with the same Tax Identification Number (TIN) will be aggregated (i.e. all user accounts with earnings will be added together) to determine if you meet the filing threshold. The annual aggregated gross receipts and transactions will be then reported on one Form 1099-K.
What information will be provided to the IRS on the Form 1099-K?
The contents of the Form 1099-K are mandated by the Internal Revenue Service. Total aggregated earnings by month, without regard to any adjustments for credits, platform fees, etc. and total transactions for the year are reported on the 1099-K. Only transactions from the calendar year previous (e.g. January - December) will be reported. The Form will also include your TIN, name, address (as of 12/31), and our internal reference for your account(s).
You can view a Form 1099-K here.
Why are gross receipts of transactions the reported instead of the amount deposited into my bank account?
The information reported on the 1099-K is not intended to reflect your net taxable income. Gross receipts are the amount customers pay to you before credits or platform fees are deducted from your payment. Certain account activity that is deducted from your earnings may be deductible on your tax return against your reported gross receipts. Please consult with a tax professional to determine which activity on your account is deductible.
What about platform fees and other expenses incurred to run my business through PsychicCenter?
Platform fees and other costs may be deductible on your tax return. Following the close of the calendar year, you will receive a detail of the fees deducted from your account during that year. Advisors should consult with a tax professional to determine whether these fees and other expenses may be deductible.
What is a TIN?
For U.S. taxpayers, a TIN is required by the IRS for the administration of the tax laws. In most cases, your TIN is either your Employer Identification Number (EIN) or your Social Security Number (SSN). User accounts with the same SSN or EIN will receive one 1099K reflecting the aggregate amount of all gross receipts and payment transactions associated with that SSN or EIN.
What if I don't have a TIN (SSN or EIN) on file?
All advisors providing services on PsychicCenter are required to provide a TIN (SSN or EIN) when requesting payment for services rendered. To enter this information, select one of the payout options (Request Check or Direct Deposit) located under "Payment Info" in the upper right corner of your "My Account" page.
How do I ensure my TIN information is accurate?
To view your TIN information, please login to your account and use one of the payment options available to you (i.e., Request Check or Direct Deposit). For your safety, please do not submit a SSN or EIN via email to Customer Support. Unfortunately, our system does not allow for changes to be made to a TIN. If you wish to change your TIN, we ask that you open a new account for this information. If your TIN has changed with the IRS, please contact the Play Fair department by submitting a Support Form found in the Help Section.
What will happen if I don't provide my TIN?
PsychicCenter, as third-party settlement organizations, are required by law to report total amount of annual gross receipts transactions collected from customers on behalf of advisors on Form 1099-K. Therefore, we may suspend access to your account until your TIN is securely received and verified.
How will I know if my TIN information matches what the IRS has on file?
If your TIN information (e.g. name, SSN/EIN, address, etc.) does not match IRS records, the Play Fair department will contact you to get this information updated. If we're not able to get this information updated in a timely manner, your account may be suspended temporarily until this information has been provided.
Why would information I provide not match the IRS?
We may not know exactly why your TIN information came back as invalid and/or did not match the IRS' records, but here are some things to consider:
  • If you are completing the TIN information as an individual, use the information that appears on your Social security card.
  • If you are completing the information as a business, use the business name that appears when reporting taxes to the IRS.
  • Misspelling your name, not including your middle initial or middle name, or entering an incorrect TIN may cause the TIN not to match the IRS' records.
Will all advisors on PsychicCenter receive a Form 1099-K?
No, only advisors who have at least $20,000 in aggregate gross receipt AND 200 payment transactions during the calendar year, will receive a Form 1099-K.
Will I be able to verify what is being reported online via my PsychicCenter account?
We have updated the information displayed to advisors related to payments. You now can view your account summaries as far back as 2010.
Will any information about each individual transaction be given to the IRS?
No. Individual transaction level details are not reported to the IRS on the Form 1099-K. The Form 1099-K rules only show the total number of your payment transactions in the calendar year and your annual and monthly aggregate gross receipts.
Can PsychicCenter help me with my tax return?
No, we cannot provide any tax guidance or advice. Anything stated in these FAQ's or otherwise provided by PsychicCenter, verbally or in writing, should not be interpreted as tax advice.
We recommend that you contact a professional tax advisor to help you understand the general reporting rules for Form 1099-K and how to report your Form 1099-K receipts on your tax return, as we can't provide any tax guidance specific to your individual circumstances.
When can I expect to receive the Form 1099-K if my account is subject to the reporting rules?
If a Form 1099-K was filed for you, a copy of the Form 1099K will be mailed to the address stated in the account information as of December 31st. The copy of the Form will be mailed out to you with a postmark on or before January 31. You may edit the address on your account at any time by visiting your "My Account" page. Please note any address changes need to be made before December 31st to have said changes reflected on your Form 1099K. If you have multiple accounts, please be sure all accounts have the same address at 12/31.
What if I have other questions not listed here?
If you have question is not listed above, please contact: [email protected]. If you have specific inquiries, please contact a tax professional or the IRS.
What if my address changed after December 31st?
Please contact Customer Support with your updated address and we will send a replacement copy to you.
Important Changes for Advisors Using a Massachusetts Address
Effective for all gross amounts of $600 or greater that were paid to a payee in calendar year 2017, regardless of the number of transactions, the Massachusetts Department of Revenue ("DOR") now requires that a third-party settlement organization ("TPSO") report amounts paid in settlement. A TPSO must report these amounts to the Massachusetts DOR and furnish a copy to the payee, even if there is no federal reporting obligation. PsychicCenter is TPSO with this reporting obligation.
TPSO's are required by law to report total annual gross receipts collected on behalf of our members on form 1099-K who have: (a) More than $600 in aggregate annual gross receipts in a calendar year AND (b) Reside in the state of Massachusetts. This Form 1099-K will be reported to both the Internal Revenue Service and the Massachusetts DOR.
Those advisors using a Massachusetts address that do not meet the federal reporting requirements will receive a Form M-1099-K. This Form M-1099-K will be reported to the Massachusetts DOR but will not be reported to the Internal Revenue Service. It is your responsibility to work with your tax professional to determine how to properly report this information on your annual income tax return(s).
All Forms 1099-K OR M-1099-K will be furnished to the payee on or before January 31 following the close of the taxable year.
Questions about the new rules may be directed to the customer service call center for the Massachusetts DOR at (800) 392-6089.
Please visit our FAQ page for information regarding 1099-K reporting. If you have additional questions not addressed by the FAQs, please e-mail [email protected]. However, please be advised that PsychicCenter are not permitted to provide tax advice. Any specific inquiries should be directed to your tax professional, the Massachusetts DOR or the Internal Revenue Service.